SAH Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP)
Trusted Partner. Outstanding Care.
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Program team has a vision of advancing professional practices to ensure the “optimal antimicrobial prescribing, resulting in the best clinical outcomes for our patients, with minimal toxicity.”
We believe that appropriate antimicrobial prescribing can be achieved through multifaceted approaches that engage prescribers in dialogue about antimicrobial use, provide relevant and timely diagnostic test results, and educate prescribers.
Exceptional people working together to provide outstanding care in Algoma
Our mission is to implement evidence-based approaches, in collaboration with prescribers, to optimize antimicrobial prescribing, and ultimately achieve the best possible clinical outcomes for our patients.
Antimicrobial Stewardship helps to ensure that people get the right antibiotic, at the right dose, when they need them. Our goal is to improve the overall quality of patient care and patient safety by promoting best practices that limit antibiotic resistance and complications associated with the overuse and misuse of these medications. The program aims to monitor & measure the proper use of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance to achieve our goals.
We are an inter-professional and collaborative group consisting of members with leadership and clinical expertise. Leadership provides high-level management of the program by approving program scope & resources to support the team and ensure the program meets its targets.
Areas of focus for our ASP include:
- Increase awareness of antimicrobial resistance and antimicrobial stewardship practices for staff, physicians, and patients
- Develop local guidelines, clinical pathways, and order sets, taking into account local resistance patterns and best practices
- Perform Prospective Audit and Feedback which is the assessment of antimicrobial therapy with feedback and recommendations provided to the prescribing team in real-time to improve patient outcomes
Resources for Clinicians:
Spectrum is a mobile app that is customized with SAH specific resources such as
- Antimicrobial stewardship guidelines for a variety of infectious disease syndromes
- Population metrics and antibiogram (organism susceptibility patterns)
- Information on antibiotic dosing
- Pathogen information including Provincial Respiratory Pathogen reports – a weekly summary of local activity based on testing performed at SAH laboratory