Welcome to the Sault Area Hospital
We will do everything we can to make your time with us an excellent one where your personal comfort and medical needs are addressed in a timely manner and we keep you well informed about your or your loved one’s care.
Every day you will see great things happening and great people making a positive difference in people’s lives. I encourage you to acknowledge and recognize these successes no matter how big or small, in your own way.
We are continually seeking to improve what we do and how we do it and your suggestions for improvement are always welcome. We value your input because we know it will help us to achieve our vision and to deliver on our commitment to patient, physician and staff satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to share your ideas and observations with any member of the SAH team.
We are striving for excellence and we are sure you will see this reflected throughout your time at SAH.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
At Sault Area Hospital we believe that our patients and their families are partners in the delivery of quality patient care. We invite you and your family to join us as active members of your care team.
As a patient at Sault Area Hospital, you have the right to:
- Be treated in a kind and respectful manner
- Receive care without discrimination as to race, age, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation
- or national origin
- Receive care from skilled health care providers
- Expect that all information about your care will be kept private according to the law
- Be able to get information from your health record according to the law
- Express your concerns and get answers to your questions in a timely manner
- Be given information in a way you will understand
- Know the names and roles of people involved in your care
- Know if clinical students may be helping in your care, under supervision, and that you
- have the right to refuse if you do not wish to have students participate in your care
- Know if your care may be involved in research and that at all times you will be asked for
- consent and have the right to refuse without your care being affected
- Know if vendors will be present while you are receiving care from our staff and physicians and that you have the right to refuse if you do not wish to have a vendor present while you receive your care. You have the right to review our Vendor Policy if you wish.
As your care providers at Sault Area Hospital, we expect that you:
- Participate in decisions about your care and discharge from the hospital
- Accept responsibility for the decisions you make about your treatment
- Be polite and respect other patients, visitors and members of the health care team
- Alert care providers of any situation you feel is unsafe or may result in harm
- Respect hospital policies and property
- Give accurate information to your care team and let them know if you cannot follow the care
- Ask questions and tell your care team if you do not understand
- Give your health care team the name of the person who will represent you in the event that you cannot make decisions for yourself
- Take care of your personal things and send home anything that is not needed
- Understand and be responsible for all fees not covered by OHIP or private insurance during your hospital stay
Working Together to Provide Excellent Care
Everyone at SAH takes part in your care and in keeping you safe. You, your family and visitors also have a role. Please help us to provide you with excellent care.
SAH Care Providers Will:
- Always wash our hands to help protect you from infection
- Introduce ourselves
- Ensure your safety by checking your identification prior to any procedure, treatment or medication administration
- Work together and explain your care, answering any of your questions
- Check-in on you at least hourly when you are an inpatient
- Ensure you are taking the right type and amount of medication
- Ask about your pain and keep you as comfortable as possible
- Maintain a clean and safe environment
- Be respectful and courteous to you and your visitors
- Keep your information private according to the law
- Before leaving your room, make sure the call bell cord is within reach
SAH Patients & Visitors will:
- Clean your hands often and remind others to do the same
- Designate one person to liaise with the health care team, if possible
- Make sure the information on your identification bracelet is correct
- Plan for your discharge and participate in decisions about your care (patient and family)
- Ask questions and speak up if you have a concern
- Provide a clear and complete medical history, including allergies and medications
- Abide by our visiting policies (e.g. no smoking, visiting hours, scent-free, etc.)
- Help SAH maintain an environment that is clean and safe
- Be respectful and courteous to SAH physicians, staff, volunteers and other patients, family and visitors
- Respect the rights, safety and privacy of SAH physicians, staff, volunteers, other patients, families and visitors
- Be responsible for your belongings
Your involvement is important and we want to hear your thoughts. Your care providers and the manager in your area are available to speak with you. For more details on any of the above, please see our Patient Services Directory.
SAH is pleased to provide the latest Patient Services Directory to patients and their families.