In some situations, when you visit Sault Area Hospital (SAH), you may need to pay for the health care services you receive at our hospital. These situations will depend on the health care coverage you have.

Where possible we will let you know about any applicable costs beforehand and discuss your payment options with you.

When applicable, we may need you to provide additional information or complete paperwork so we can ensure your health care services are paid for through a government program or your private insurance plan.

The following provides an overview of when and why you may be charged for services:

If you have a valid Ontario health card, OHIP will pay for most of the health care services you receive.

The following services are not covered by OHIP, and you will need to pay for these:

  • Ambulance services
  • Preferred accommodation
  • Assistive devices – such as crutches, canes, splints, casts, gel wraps, etc.
  • Cosmetic surgery
  • De-listed procedures – including tattoo removal, repair of benign skin lesions, travel vaccinations, earlobe repair from earrings
  • Chronic co-payment
  • Certain ophthalmology​ procedures and implants
  • Laboratory charges*

If you have private insurance, your insurance plan may cover the costs of some of the above services.

If you have lost your health card, find out how you can get a new card or contact Service Ontario at (705) 253-8887 or visit the office at 420 Queen St. E. Unit 101.

If you were injured at work and your treatment at SAH is related to your work injury, you must provide your WSIB claim number when you receive treatment.

If you are treated in the Emergency Department for a work-related injury and you have not submitted a claim with WSIB, please tell your health care team that this was a work-related injury and complete a form. Your employer should complete WSIB Form 7 and you should complete WSIB Form 6.

Get more information about WSIB coverage and claims.

If you have a health card from another province or territory in Canada, most health care services you receive in Ontario will be paid for through a reciprocal agreement between the provinces and territories. When you arrive at SAH, provide your home address, your provincial or territorial health card and the expiry date of the card.

If you have lost your health card, find out how you can replace your card through your provincial or territorial health care office.

If you do not have Ontario or other Canadian provincial or federal health insurance, you will be required to pay all estimated fees in advance.

If you have private insurance coverage (including Student Coverage) we will need to pre-authorize payment through your insurance plan before your admission. We may charge fees for appointments, assessments, diagnostic tests, procedures, treatments, assistive devices, drugs and follow-up appointments – these fees must be paid in advance.

If you are covered under the Interim Federal Health Program, you must tell the registration clerk when you arrive at SAH and provide a copy of your refugee papers.


Please visit our Accommodations section for more information.

Please visit our Ambulance Services page for more information.

Contact Billing

T: (705) 759-3434 ext. 5415
F: (705) 256-3499