Our active Volunteer Team of more than 520 contributes over 65,000 hours per year. On any given day, there are 60 or more volunteers carrying out various assignments throughout the hospital.
Our Volunteers are:
- An integral part of our health care team by enhancing services to our patients, visitors, staff and physicians
- Ambassadors for Sault Area Hospital
- Demonstrators of Sault Area Hospital’s iCcare values
We recognize the needs of volunteers as having meaningful opportunities for personal growth, having a positive and supportive environment, being acknowledged and appreciated and knowing that they support quality patient care at Sault Area Hospital.
The Volunteer Role
A ‘volunteer’ at Sault Area Hospital is defined as an individual who willingly donates their time and energy to the hospital to provide services or support patients, visitors or staff in an approved program of Volunteer Resources. A volunteer does not receive compensation from SAH.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Demonstrate Sault Area Hospital’s Standards of Performance and iCcare Values
- Are at least 15 years of age
- Can commit to at least one 4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six-months.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Complete the online application form or pick one up from Volunteer Resources located on the 1st floor, F-Wing of SAH.
- Complimentary parking pass, for use on your shift
- Access to training and development opportunities
- Two recognition events each year (April and December)
- Experience to put on your resumé
- Opportunity to give back to our community
Commit to at least one 4 hour shift per week for a minimum of six months. Some exceptions may apply for special programs or students.
- Yes, students must be at least 15 years of age and able to make a minimum 80-hour commitment.
- SAH volunteer hours count towards your Community Involvement Hours.
- Co-op opportunities are also available at SAH, check with your Co-op Advisor for more information.
SAH has a wide variety of opportunities available for volunteers; see our current Opportunities Directory for a complete listing of positions.
Placement decisions are made in consultation with the applicant based on current position openings.
Volunteers are encouraged to make a minimum commitment of 6 months to their current placement. However, should other opportunities become available change requests are accepted.
Taking time for yourself, as a volunteer, is very important to us at SAH and holidays are permitted. We ask that volunteers provide Volunteer Resources with as much notice as possible.
Sault Area Hospital provides our volunteers with a red smock or vest, ID Badge and name tag to wear over their own clothing during their volunteer time.
All volunteers are expected to keep a neat, clean, professional appearance while volunteering.