Spotlight on Occupational Therapy
Occupational therapists work in a variety of settings at Sault Area Hospital. They have an extensive education that helps in addressing many aspects of our patient’s health in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Occupational Therapy Assistants support Occupational Therapists in both of these settings.
Our inpatient therapists implement therapy programs for physical, cognitive, visual-perceptual and behavioural impairments. Therapists and assistants work together to facilitate these programs.
Some of the approaches the occupational therapy teams use include:
- Introducing alternative methods to complete day-to-day tasks to promote independence
- Modifying a patient’s environment with accessible design
- Prescribing equipment and assistive devices for increased safety and independence
- Consulting with family, caregivers, and other health professionals about a patient’s abilities and care needs
- Providing advanced foot care
- Administering assessments to predict pressure wound risk
- Determining cognitive status through evidenced based assessments
- Providing therapy focused on improving cognitive skills
Outpatient occupational therapy teams serve the community by providing clinics focused on:
- Advanced foot care and foot wound care
- Neurological focused care
- Specialized Hand Therapy including splinting
We would like to take this opportunity to recognize and thank our entire Occupational Therapy team for their dedication, collaboration and patient-focused care!