Hospital Seeking Patient and Family Advisors
Sault Area Hospital (SAH) is committed to achieving the highest quality patient outcomes by listening to the voice of the patient, addressing the patient experience and implementing positive changes and process improvements throughout hospital services. We are currently seeking patient and family advisors to join our Patient and Family Advisory Program.
Our patient and family advisors contribute to continuous improvements at SAH. Over the past several years, the hospital has grown the advisory program and we now have upwards of 80 patient and family advisors working in a variety of capacities across the organization.
SAH is seeking applications for the following areas:
Mental Health & Addictions Program – We are looking for patient advisors – individuals who have recent experiences obtaining care
Renal Program – We are looking for renal patients and family or friends of renal patients
Resource Pool – We are looking for community members who have had experiences at SAH within the last 2 years
Candidates should have had recent interaction with hospital services (ideally within the past 2 years) as either an inpatient, outpatient or as a family member or loved one of a patient. We are looking for people who are willing to be open, honest and committed to providing meaningful and thoughtful input to improving the patient experience at Sault Area Hospital.
The following are some personal attributes we are seeking:
- Respectful of others and their perspectives
- Comfortable speaking in a group and interacting with others
- Good listening skills
- Able to use personal experience constructively
- Able to see beyond personal experience
- Able to see the big picture
- Demonstrate a non-judgmental and positive attitude
- Work collaboratively with other families and health care providers
- Desire to expand knowledge and skills
- Desire to participate in bringing about meaningful change
- Able to maintain confidentiality of patient and organizational information
- Able to commit 1-3 hours per month to the advisory program
An effective patient and family advisory program reflects the diversity of the people served by SAH and the broader community we share. A diverse council ensures that the decisions being made reflect, and respond to, a broad range of lived experiences across various social and cultural backgrounds. Therefore, we welcome and encourage all applicants from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
The online application form can be found here.
To find out more about the Patient and Family Advisory Council, and/or to apply, please click here visit, or contact Holly Lismanis at 705-759-3434, ext. 6908.