Patient Relations: Tell Us Your Views
Sault Area Hospital (SAH) is committed to improving the quality of our services for patients and their families. One key way we do that is through changes made as a result of patient comments. We welcome feedback regarding your experience while a patient at SAH.
To help ensure that everyone can access our feedback process, SAH will make every effort to provide documents in accessible formats and/or communication supports upon request.
Always try to speak to the person who provided the care or service, or the Unit Supervisor/Manager. It is best to share a compliment or raise a concern when and where it occurs.
If you have a concern that cannot be addressed in real-time, or the patient is no longer in hospital, you may contact the Patient Relations Office
T: 705-759-3434 ext. 3807
It is important that your voice is heard and we will work with you to resolve your concern or pass along your compliment. Your care and treatment will not be negatively affected as a result of bringing forward a concern.
If your concern is not resolved after speaking with the Manager, ask to speak with the Director of the Unit or Department.
If your concern remains unresolved, contact the Planning, Quality & Risk Department. The Department facilitates a formal patient relations process on behalf of the hospital and can be contacted by mail, telephone or e-mail.
- A clear outline of your concern
- The location and details of when your concern occurred
- Names of the people with whom you raised your concern
- How you would like your concern to be resolved
- Acknowledgement within five business days that your concern has been received.
- Formal review of concern initiated.
- Exploration of all aspects of your concern, as fully as possible.
- Facilitation of communication between relevant departments and services to pursue resolution.
- A response to your concern including an explanation of any decisions or actions taken as a result, within 30 days of initial acknowledgement.
While we explore all concerns thoroughly, we are limited in what feedback we can share with you if you are reporting a concern on behalf of someone else. In that case, you will need consent from either the patient or substitute decision-maker (SDM) for us to share information with you.
Consent can be given with:
- A signed Form to Request Access to Personal Health Record or
- A signed letter from the patient or SDM giving consent for the hospital to provide information to you.
Patient Satisfaction Surveys
Through patient satisfaction surveys, SAH receives information that helps us identify where we are doing well and highlights where there are opportunities to improve our care and services.
NRC Health is the company hired by the province to coordinate the patient satisfaction survey process for all participating hospitals. For example, Sault Area Hospital provides a listing of patients discharged to NRC Health, and they randomly select patients to receive the survey. Then, the survey is mailed directly to patients by NRC Health, and completed surveys are returned by mail to NRC.
Completion of the survey is voluntary, and all responses are kept confidential. NRC Health analyzes the results of the returned surveys on our behalf and provides us with reports, which we review to assist in identifying where we are doing well and to highlight where we may have opportunities to improve the care and services we provide.
We appreciate the feedback that is provided to us through this survey process. We encourage all patients and family members selected to complete the survey and express their opinions.