What is a coronavirus?
A coronavirus typically causes symptoms that are similar to those of the common cold.
However, it can also cause more severe illnesses including pneumonia and death. The Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus was a type of coronavirus.
A novel coronavirus COVID-19 is a new strain previously not identified in humans.
What are the symptoms?
Common signs of infection include:
- respiratory symptoms
- shortness of breath
- breathing difficulties
In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
More information is available here.
How can it be prevented?
Everyday preventive actions can help to stop the spread of this coronavirus, in fact, any respiratory virus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue away
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Stay home if you are sick
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre on Drive In Road is CLOSED.
Testing Available at Shoppers Drug Mart
COVID-19 testing is available at Shoppers Drug Mart on Second Line for those who are eligible: https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-testing-and-treatment.
Individuals who are eligible for testing can access the Shopper’s Drug Mart booking link at: https://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/health-and-wellness/pharmacy-services/covid-19-testing