Registered Technologist – Laboratory – Part Time (2)
Purpose of Position:
To perform laboratory tests, collect specimens and report results to Patient Care Providers, with interpretation as required within the parameters as defined by the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists and any other applicable regulatory bodies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform laboratory procedures as indicated in department manuals, following Hospital and Laboratory Policies.
- Work in one or more laboratory subsections, i.e. Transfusion Services, Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology, Histology and Hematology.
- Remain current in laboratory medicine and participate in available continuing education programs as required by the CMLTO or any other applicable regulatory bodies.
- Communicate with Patient Care Providers on laboratory matters and exercise independent judgment in specimen procurement, specimen analysis, reporting and interpretation of findings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Staffing and Licensing Requirements:
- Has obtained from a university approved by the Director a bachelor’s degree with a relevant chemical, physical or biological science as a major subject and has been employed for a minimum of one year as a laboratory technician in a laboratory approved by the Director; or
- Is recognized as a technologist by a technologist society in Canada (CMLTO, CSMLS), Great Britain (HCPC) or the United States (ASCP, NCA), whose courses of study are approved by the Director; or
- Has obtained a diploma as a laboratory technologist from an Ontario Community College; or
- Has education or experience or both that is approved by the Director as equivalent to the standards prescribed in clause (a), (b) or (c). R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 682, s. 6 (3).
- Minimum acceptable experience in a training program approved by CSMLS, which includes a one-year clinical training.
- One (1) year related work experience in a laboratory setting
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
- Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
- Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
- Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
- Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
- Behavior consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
- Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may by assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time. Only those selected for the test/ interview will be contacted.
This position is covered by a collective agreement. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit.