Nurse Practitioner – Emergency Department – Full Time
- Participate and collaborate with other health care providers in the provision of patient care.
- Assesses patients by obtaining relevant history and completing physical exam, in order to make a diagnosis
- Initiates orders for treatment(s), medications, and diagnostic tests according to findings and collaborates with SAH physicians, primary care providers and family health teams as needed.
- Develops medical treatment plans for the patients under her/his care, which may be carried out by other care providers.
- Evaluates outcomes based on clinical skills/judgement and patient improvements.
- Dictates discharge summaries, which set out the diagnosis, treatment and discharge instructions.
- Conducts Family meetings and discusses plans of care, discharge and end of life issues with patients and /or their families/substitute decision maker.
- Provides learning opportunities for students and other professional staff.
- Participates in the development of order sets, clinical pathways or medical directives for the care of the patients in the program.
- Refers to other care providers as appropriate
- Where appropriate is a consultant and resource to the Health Care Team and the community as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Registered Nurse Extended Class License in good standing with the College of Nurses Ontario
- ACLS/PALS current within last two years.
- Current CPR
- Minimum two years recent experience working as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Minimum two years of experience in a critical care environment.
Skills & Ability:
- Computer knowledge and skills using windows environment, Microsoft office applications, hospital applications.
- Ability to organize and manage an office setting and work with all.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with members of the interdisciplinary team, and exercise judgment by participating in the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care according to college standards.
- Behaviour consistent with the hospital’s Standards of Performance and ICCARE values.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may by assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time. Only those selected for the test/ interview will be contacted.
Nurses will be selected on the basis of their skill, ability, experience and qualifications as identified in the resume which they have attached to the posting application form. The Hospital reserves the right to conduct a formal interview and/or testing where required.
This position is covered by a collective agreement. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit.