Health Information Management Professional Team Lead – Health Records – Full Time
- Safeguard and release patient information under the provisions of Ontario’s Personal Health Information Privacy Act.
- Plan, organize, and approve all clerical work in the clerical area of the Health Records department; provide staff supervision.
- Prioritize work on a daily/weekly/monthly basis according to departmental priorities.
- Act as a contact/resource to other departments on Health Records correspondence matters.
- Build relationships with internal and external customers
- Receive all mail and sort.
- Process all requests for medical information and complete all necessary correspondence and billing.
- Liaise with the hospital’s representative in processing any medical legal cases.
- Co-ordinate the training of new health records clerks as required.
- Report to the Manager any unusual situation which may arise within the clerical area of the Health Records department.
- Assist the manager in ensuing any clerical shift vacancies are covered.
- Create a monthly schedule for the clerical staff.
- Assist the Manager in completing the payroll for the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma in Health Information Management required
- Certification as a Health Information Management Professional
- Active member in good standing with CHIMA
- Knowledge of various legislation related to healthcare (Personal Health Information Protection Act, Public Hospitals Act, Mental Health Act, Coroner’s Act)
- Proficiency in medical terminology
- Proficiency in a Microsoft environment including experience in the development of spreadsheets, Word, Power Point, Outlook.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
- Excellent interpersonal, decision making, organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
- Customer service and telephone skills.
- Ability to maintain successful working relationships with the interdisciplinary team to achieve positive patient outcomes.
- Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
- Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
- Proficiency and accuracy in clerical tasks including data entry, keyboarding, filing systems, documentation etc.
- Proficiency in using telephone systems, data projectors, laptop computers, video and phone conference equipment., photocopier and fax machines.
- Ability to use hospital software applications such as Meditech, ADT, ADM and PHA, and Xerox.
- Ability to understand the concepts of ethics and legal issues as they relate to the health record, maintaining the record and health care settings.
- Behaviour consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may by assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time.
This position is covered by a collective agreement. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit.